Office of Government Spokesperson (OGS)
The Office of the Government Spokesperson (OGS) serves as the nerve centre of government communications. Its Core mandate is to coordinate, plan, manage and implement communication of government policies, programs and initiatives. It is also mandated with providing oversight of the technical operations of the Directorates of Information, Public Communication, and Film Services, Kenya News Agency, Government Advertising Agency, Office of the Information Secretary, the Government Media Centre and all affiliated functions in various Ministries and Government Agencies.
- Provide oversight to the directorates Information, Public Communication, Film Services and the Government Advertising Agency;
- Set standard, ensure efficiency, quality control and harmonized messaging in government communication;
- Propagate government policies and initiatives by providing timely and accurate dissemination of information;
- Create synergy, partnerships and collaborations with creators and consumers of government information including the media fraternity; and
- Publicize government programmes and projects through media and community engagement.
The key mandate of OGS is planning, coordinating, managing and informing the public on government policies and programs.
To execute this mandate, the Office of the Government oversights the following departments:
- Directorate of Public Communications (DPC)
- Directorate of Information (DI)
- Directorate of Film Services (DFS)
- Government Advertising Agency (GAA)
- Office of the Information Secretary, the Government Media Centre and all affiliated functions in various Ministries and Government Agencies
The functions under the OGS
- Oversee the strategic communication function of government policies, programs, projects and initiatives.
- Coordinate government communications in times of crisis, emergency and risk situations as well as other special occasions.
- Propagate and disseminate accurate information on government policies, programs, projects and initiatives in a timely manner.
- Facilitate communication between the government and its publics.