Konza Techno City (KTC) is a key flagship project of Vision 2030. The major objective of establishing the City is to generate 17,000 direct jobs at the end of 2018 and have 200,000 residents in the City at the end of 2030. It is also expected to contribute to the growth of GDP by 10% annually.
The vision for Konza Techno City is to be a sustainable, world-class technology hub and a major economic driver for the nation, with a vibrant mix of businesses, workers, residents, and urban amenities.
KTC will develop world class infrastructure and technology to facilitate research, education and business through Information Technology Enabled Services (ITES) to position Kenya as a Knowledge based economy and a preferred ICT destination. Significant milestones have been achieved towards its implementation. These include:
- Engagement of International Finance Corporation (IFC) as the Transaction Advisor to oversee the planning of the project
- Completion of various feasibility studies
- Approval of the Local Physical Development Plan (25 February, 2013)
- Creation of the 10 KM buffer zone around the City
- Drilling and equipping of seven boreholes
- Finalization of the detailed implementation plan and strategy by Master Delivery Partner 1 (MDP1) (in February, 2013)
- Establishment of Konza Technopolis Development Authority (KoTDA) and appointment of a Board of Directors
- Submission of the Draft KoTDA Bill to the Attorney General to expand the mandate of the Authority
- Approval of design drawings for the construction of an iconic Sales Pavilion by the Directorate of Public Works
- Approval of the Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) by National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) (February 2014)
The Ministry and KoTDA are in the process of engaging Master Delivery Partner 2 (MDP2) to oversee the development of Phase 1 (2014-2018).
2. INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES IN KONZA TECHNO CITY
Konza Techno City presents a wide range of Investment opportunities in the following areas:
- Academia and Life Sciences
- Financial Services
- Real Estate
There have been a number of investor outreach initiatives. KoTDA continues to receive queries from potential investors globally. The following are those who have sent requests in writing: